Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The early years

I would like to say this before I start my ‘so called BLOG’. Thanks to Arun who introduced me to this….what should I call it??? new concept!! vogue!! technology!!, well could say anything for that matter. This medium by which one can voice their experiences, wishes, memories into the cyber world and share the same with others in the same world. All in all I am amazed to see how we have evolved to this extent in such a short span and fortunate enough to see them happen in front of our eyes.

With that note here is my BLOG about ‘My Early Years’ Now where do I begin my story. Lets start when Biju was old enough to remember what was going around him. We were bestowed with the luxuries of modern times, unlike how it was in India at that period of time. I am talking about the 1970's. We were living in Dubai.

The oldest events that I recall dates back to when I was maybe 4 or 5 years old. Just flashes of them still clear in my mind. I used to be very dependent on my elders…..and why not??? I’m just a kid for crying out loud :-). Achan(dad) was very aggressive and wanted his son to be self reliant and bold even at that early age. But how am I supposed to know all this at that time of my life when all I knew was….amma was there to provide me with food when I needed them and achan…mmm was never home until afternoon. I used to be a very shy and scared. There has been instances where my heart used to skip a beat by the sheer stare of our dad. I was very happy to be among others until I first realized the truth being in their shoes, so to speak atleast. There was this supermarket below our building and one day achan asked me to get a kilo of onion. I had no clue why??? And to make things worse I just wouldn’t go…..and what do I do instead??? Cry!!!! Now there is no escape from achan….the only way out is to get what was asked for. I vaguely remember this shopkeeper. Somehow with great emotional difficulty I budge :-). Another person that comes to my mind is GanshamDas who owned a supermarket near our home where achan used to take me to buy provisions. My mouth still bears the taste of the cashew nuts he used to give me. These are the only flashes I have from my earliest years. I remember the first day at school. St Mary’s, Dubai. I was at kindergarten and all I remember about my teacher was a dark lady with clothes not seen very often worn by people around me at home. I don’t remember much more of my days in St Mary’s. My thought ends here.

The Wonder years....begin

We moved to a new location called Satwa, a large colony where my brother and I grew up until we left Dubai for good. Now growing up comes in all shapes and sizes not in its literal sense but how we are brought up. Achan always used to tell us that we were not born with a silver spoon but a golden one. How true!!!! Years passed by and all that remains are some sweet some not so sweet memories.

The best part of our lives was that we were never far away from our family. All our dear ones were just an arm distance away and this I’d say is a BIG plus in our upbringing. What is life anyway!!!! I do not believe a person can live a solitary life, if one claims so he is a liar. Our friends and families are like sculptures that meticulously mould us to become a human being. We are happy they were very good sculptures :-).

Our school days are unforgettable and who would not want to go back to those years once again. Given a chance I have no second thoughts about it. Lets get to the wonder years of my life.

Protagonists: My brother and I

Who is my brother?
Name: Prasad alias Saju

We were poles apart physically, emotionally, mentally and all that you can think of. But yet we were brothers. There was nothing in this world we had a common agreement on. If I say white be assured he would say black and vice versa. Amma had to live with our tantrums and she did very well, guess moms come all prepared. I give up easily though I start off with exactly the opposite of what I agree in the end….yeah yeah blame it on Biju. Being the eldest in the family it was tough for me to succumb to my brother’s ways, I protest and we end up pouncing on the bed fighting and screaming. Then comes amma fed up with already a busy day in the kitchen, now she has to deal with us too. I still remember her phrase she used when all is lost “Paranjal kekkatte jendukkal” :-). Poor amma, she was always manageable ;-). We had fights for the silliest of reasons, it was like we were the worst of enemies. Saju had the upper hand with dad, he knew the right chords for the music. I was timid and used to push the master to take center stage when I needed something to be done. I was sure I was no match for him. I played safe and was in the good books, but it was not intentional, it so happened that way. I would say that is called character and each one are governed by it. We can change them but the basic characteristics stay intact.

Talking about Saju's master talent here are some excerpts. All the family members/friends used to meet on Thursdays at one home for a get together party. As far as I can remember this was a regular event, the gents would be having their rounds of alcohol and the ladies would have their favorite pass time 'Paradushanam' and not to forget us, playing and having fun with cousins.

The Edibles

I have to mention about food here otherwise I wouldn't be doing justice to myself :-). You may think WHY? Doesn’t everybody need food? For sure I agree, we have food to live but in our family's case it’s we live to cherish the food we eat or in other words 'WE LIVE TO EAT'. That was the motto. We simply enjoy the food we eat and that’s the finale of any get together parties.

MAN Hmm BOY at work

We have a plan to stay back at Praveen's home. Ooops!!! this is a new character. Well for the time being he's our cousin. He holds a very important position in our family. I'm sure his name would be mentioned several times in this journey down memory lane. Lets get back to our MASTER. I just cannot look at achan and ask upfront if he would let us sleep over at Praveen's home for the night. I've thought about it a lot of times....what was bothering or stopping me to do that?? Was it the timidness within me or just the truth that I simply did not possess the courage. I would think if I can't do it why not someone who can??? and Saju is the MAN for it. He would creep up to achan's lap and the scene is set for the best performance of a life time. Saju will make sure dad agree's. 9 out of 10 times achan will succumb to his younger sons pressure. Guess some guys have it in them. :-)

1 comment:

Jiby said...

came here via arun's blog...really nostalgic post...keep blogging...wud love to read more!