Friday, December 16, 2005

Double Standards--Why are we like that.....???

This is not any from my memories but an opinion I think should be here...read on..

Have we ever thought about this seriously?

We blame the local authorities for not keeping public premises clean. How many among us have really thought what we can do as an individual...very few compared to the other part of the general public. We are right at the top when it comes to the blaming game but none of us think radically. The problem is not restricted to only the uneducated classes(which is understandable), it is widespread among the educated and so called elite class. They are perfect when it comes to keeping their private homes spic and span, but away from home, they have different rules in store. Why??? I've seen numerous occasions when people throw trash right out of their car windows or even spitting for that matter. Talking about spitting, its a kind of a birth right in India. But mind you...the same people, when they are in other countries obey the laws and respect their rules and regulations. We Indians only think about the RIGHTS we have and safely forget our DUTIES. I am not perfect when I write this but I can proudly say I've done my part in this regard. The other day my 4 year old son had a piece of chocolate wrapper in his pocket. When I asked him why it was there, he told me that he did not find a dust bin the school van and did not want to throw it outside, he bought it home to dispose it in our home trash can. Believe it or not. IT IS POSSIBLE.

I have always wondered why we exhibit this sort of double standards.

Is it because of the fear that we are in an alien nation we exhibit the change in character? OR
Does the vast freedom we enjoy in India serve as a prerequisite to be unethical? OR
Is it a purposeful ignorance?

I would say 'PURE IGNORANCE'. Why do we do that? Coz others are also doing it and why not I?-->mentality. We all know what is right but just being ignorant and 'everything goes here' sense of feeling is here to stay, until this is wiped out, we will not change. This holds good for other basic behaviors-
1. Obeying traffic rules which we don't.
2. Traveling without a valid ticket. If not many but there are people who do it for the kick of it. Will you do it anywhere else????

With this BLOG I am not going to change India overnight but atleast I can convey what I feel is right through this medium. I'm sure many who read this will agree with me. These are for sure trivial things but at the same time a serious topic each of us should think about.

Lets do something for a change!!!!

2 comments:

silverine said...

You have just touched a raw nerve here, at least for me. The other day I told off an auto driver as he kept spitting every 5 minutes!! He gave me a sheepish smile. I reasoned with him that people have to walk on the roads he spits on. In fact spit on road is somehting I abhor.
Trash is another growing problem and I see a trash wars soon.We have to get to the root of this problem. Just disposing trash wont help. The cola companies who make the pet bottles for bottling their cola's should be made to collect back and recycle these pet bottles. And the Govt should impose a ban on thin plastics like in the Nilgiris.All plastic manufacturers should be made to compulsarily take back used plastics for recycling or pay towards the maintenance of recycling plants. In Bangalore, the garbage collected by the municipal people are partly procesed, the rest is thrown near lakes. We had two instances of villagers protesting this and burning garbage trucks to show their ire. This is an urgent problem that needs to be taken up soon.


Great post.

Biju said...

@silverine-Thanks for dropping by with your valuable comments.
You said it. Its about time the govt woke up to this rising problem.